With the theme of Living within the Ecological Limits of One Planet, the seminar was successfully held at Jaya 33 Convention Centre (Courtyard@4), 1, Jalan Kemajuan, Section 13, Petaling Jaya.
This seminar is part of EPSM’s SLiM campaign to mainstream sustainable development in Malaysia. In addition to providing a background on sustainable development and its implementation, the Seminar also focuses on helping participants reduce their carbon, water and food footprints by sharing practical experiences and case studies. A copy of the Press Release can be downloaded here.
This seminar is organised by EPSM in partnership with Majlis Bandaraya Petaling Jaya (MBPJ), with funding from the GEF Small Grants Programme. It will be officiated by the Selangor State Executive Councillor for Local Government, Dato’ Teng Chang Khim, with the presence of the Mayor for Petaling Jaya, Datin Paduka Alinah Ahmad.
By attending this seminar, participants will get to listen to EPSM’s presentation on the results of its survey carried out in five states to calculate the carbon, water and food footprints of a sample of urban households in Malaysia. Conducted since 2012, this survey has covered more than 450 households to date.
The seminar would be of direct relevance to stakeholders from the federal government, state government and local authorities, professional organisations, private sector, non-governmental organisations, community-based organisations, youth, academia and interested individuals. The program and presentations of Speakers are below.
9.00am: Welcome Remarks
- Nithi Nesadurai, President, Environmental Protection Society Malaysia (EPSM) – Opening Speech
- Datin Paduka Alinah Ahmad, Mayor, Majlis Bandaraya Petaling Jaya
- David Lee, National Coordinator, GEF Small Grants Programme (SGP)
9.20am: Opening Address by Selangor State Government Executive Councillor in charge of Local Government
9.45am: Session 1: Understanding the concept – ‘Sustainable Development/Living’
- Introduction to Rio Declaration and Agenda 21, and Beyond (1992–2012) By Susheila McCoy, Chair, SLiM Working Group, EPSM
- Food Security in Malaysia and Brazil by Denise Chin, Master’s Candidate, Tufts University, Boston, USA
- Local Agenda 21: Framework for Implementing Agenda 21 at the Local Level By Professor Dr Phang Siew Nooi, College of Law, Government and International Studies, Universiti Utara Malaysia
10.40am: Tea Break
11.10am Session 2: Implementing the concept – ‘Sustainable Development/Living’
- Sustainable Development Strategy and Agenda 21 Selangor (2000) By Datin Paduka Halimaton Saadiah Hashim, Senior Fellow, Institute for Environment and Development, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia and former Director, Town and Country Planning Department, Selangor
- Experience of Majlis Bandaraya Petaling Jaya (MBPJ) in Implementing Local Agenda 21: Successes, Challenges and Opportunities By Lee Lih Shyan, Head, One Stop Centre Unit, and Secretariat, Petaling Jaya Low Carbon Green City Task Force, MBPJ
12.10pm Session 3: Tools for measuring sustainability and steps for achieving sustainable living
- The Ecological Footprint Analysis & Sustainable Production and Consumption By Randolph Jeremiah, Vice President, EPSM
12.35am: Session 4: A sampling of Malaysia’s sustainability status
- Malaysian Lifestyle Behaviour – EPSM’s SGP Project on Measuring the Carbon, Water and Food Footprints of Malaysian Households By Nithi Nesadurai, President, EPSM
2.15pm: Session 5: Living within ecological limits
- Reducing the Carbon and Water Footprint: Addressing Climate Change By Anthony Tan, Executive Director, Centre for Environment, Technology and Development Malaysia (CETDEM)
- Reducing the Food Footprint By Mr Nithi Nesadurai, President, EPSM
3.10pm: Tea break
3.30pm Session 6: Case studies at the individual, household, community and local authority levels
- Greening an Individual, Household and a Condominium Complex by Joann Lim, Hon. Secretary, EPSM
- Greening a Local Authority – Petaling Jaya Low Carbon Green City by Lee Lih Shyan, Head, One Stop Centre Unit, and Secretariat, Petaling Jaya Low Carbon Green City Task Force, MBPJ
4.15pm Panel Discussion – The Way Forward moderated by Mano Maniam, Executive Committee Member, EPSM
4.55pm Closing Session - Vote of Thanks by Nithi Nesadurai, President, EPSM